I watched a video podcast this week that really got me thinking: there’s something about the way we humans thing that seems to really, really be stuck on the idea of no change.
It’s kind of linked to that quote (which apparently is NOT Einstein) that the definition of madness is doing the same thing, over and over and over again and expecting a different result.
A lot of modern western society seems premised on the idea or the promise that things will not change. No one wants to grow up or age. We want to finish a study and be qualified and hold a job. We expect there to always be petrol and gas for our cars and industries. Things like volcanoes, gay marriage laws and economic crashes are seen as anomalous and undesirable.
And yet, this world view is completely unsupportable. A mere minute’s observation tells as that there is no stasis in the world but constant change. In fact, if anything, nature tends towards entropy… a slow decline.
Do we fear death so much that all change must be denied? Or do we fear responsibility so much that all action must be avoided?
I was wondering: What would happen if a political party ran for office that said this:
* We will cut all military investment spending when we come to power
* This budget will be diverted to building schools and training teachers
* Professionals will be offered their equivalent salaries to go and teach
* Large companies will be offered massive tax breaks to develop and GIVE AWAY educational tools, resources and infrastructure to stimulate learning.
* Universities will be incentivised with large cash prizes, structural investment and funding to accelerate research into topics such as cancer cures, space travel, alternative energy sources, alternative food sources
* Social education projects target the poorest areas with teacher and trainers, infrastructure development and support.
Is that even possible? Or do we expect the world to stay so much the same that the mere thought of changing direction like that is just TOO wild, just too insane?
Look at the percentage of humans that are doing amazing things in the world. What percentage of the world has a decent education by comparison? I don’t know what it is, but I am pretty sure it’s tiny. Now imagine if we could change that. Trips to Pluto and Mars would just be the tip of the iceberg.
But instead we stay the same.